INK author Sabrina Vourvoulias has invited me and two other fellow writers to participate in a blog tour called Meet The Character. The task is for each of us to share tidbits about a protagonist in one of our WIPs or already published book(s) or short story(ies).
I'll be introducing you to a teenage girl from a YA-ish novel I've been writing.
- What is the name of your character? Perla
- Is she/he fictional or a historic person? Fictional
- When and where is the story set? The story is set in Southern California during a school vacation.
- What should we know about him/her? She's a fourteen-year-old Latina in the eighth grade.
- What is the main conflict? What messes up her/his life? Perla comes of age in an immigrant neighborhood plagued by gangs, drugs and violence. She's torn between what her parents "expect" of her and a future she wishes to work toward. Her life starts to fall apart after a series of tragedies threaten her safety.
- What is the personal goal of the character? Perla's personal goal is to someday attend college.
- Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it? I've been working with WHERE HAZARD MEETS NEWHOPE as a title. There's a short snippet of a scene on Sabrina's blog FOLLOW THE LEDE.
- When can we expect the book to be published or when was it published? That's a great question. It's also one I can't answer.
Sabrina, thank you for your guidance and for always supporting me in my writing.
Hop on over to Sabrina Vourvoulias to read about her character Anthony Cardno. Also, be sure to visit the two other women who were tagged with me, Gina Ruiz and Jessica Olivarez-Mazone, aka Tejana Made.